Windows Utilities for Power-Users
File-Ex 98 (v.2)
Awards & Honors
File-Ex 3 Reviewer’s Guide
File-Ex Feature Summary
File-Ex automatically adds time-saving functionality to the
File Open and File Save dialogs of nearly all Windows applications.
- Expand the view -- File-Ex enlarges your file dialogs to whatever size you like, up to full screen, allowing you to see many more files at once, and scroll less.
- Use long file names in all of your old (16-bit Windows 3.x) applications. (In Windows NT4, 2000, and XP)
- Save time looking for files: access favorite and recently used files and folders right from your file open and save dialogs, or use the handy Find function.
- Automatically start from the last directory used in each application, even when the application doesn't remember on its own.
- Manage files faster by having handy file management buttons available right from the open and save dialogs.
- Sort the way you want automatically, and keep the detail view columns the width you like.
Other useful features:
- An information bar shows the selected file's size, date, time, and attributes.
- Drop-down lists with file and folder favorites and history let you select any of the last 100 files or directories you've used in each application (plus the last 100 used by any application), or any of 100 favorite files/directories, just by clicking!
- Manage the favorite and recent file lists, and automatically purge orphaned recent file and folder entries.
- Optionally force the dialog to open in a selected folder (separate for each application).
- Optionally default to the "Details" view in the file dialogs.
- Define your own file type lists for any application.
- Have any 16-bit application use the explorer-style dialog and long file names. (Windows NT/XP/2000)
- Lengthened Look In and File Type drop-down lists to minimize the need to scroll.
- Training allows File-Ex to be used with even the most non-standard applications, including MS Office, Corel, Word Perfect, and more.
- Use for folder-location functions as well, for instance when extracting files in WinZIP.
- Extensive configuration and training options allow you to customize it to your needs.
- IBM compatible PC running Windows 95 or later 32-bit operating system, with 1 Meg hard disk space available.